Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Amazon Glacier

2012-08-21 11:37:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Amazon Glacier
From: Edward <edjunk30 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mr IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:34:58 +0100
I've been using bacula with S3 using s3fs for about 6 months. To say
it has been flakey is an understatement and I plan to make changes
over the coming months, although still using s3/glacier. s3fs is a
filesystem for S3, I believe the only free one (it's GPLv2).

Backups:
Small backups are fine, but large backups taking > ~2 days inevitably
have problems (ie connection drops) and neither s3fs or bacula are
good at resuming transfers/backups. Large backups need to be stored
locally and then transfered to s3 post job.
It's also extra important to backup the database straight after the
initial full backup as if something goes wrong you'll have to spend a
long time re-upload/downloading full backups.

Restores:
Restoring directly using s3fs is only possible if the volume is
completely cached locally by s3fs. I've never managed a backup that
hasn't had the entire volume manually downloaded (either filling the
cache or just cheating and remounting), so using a small volume size
is essentially. I look at the volumes required when using the restore
command and manually get them to cache.

My Future Plan:
Ditch s3fs, it's not reliable enough. Instead I plan to use a
combination of s3cmd and a simple post job script to verify correct
transfer. s3cmd is just a cp/mv/rsync kind of tool and so doesn't
suffer of the issues s3fs does. My only concern is correctly verifying
transfers have been successful.

I've never used AWS storage gateway, the economics don't work in my
instance, I run multiple small sites - it's $125 a head. This might be
an option for some, but I still think baculas inability to resume
backups would be a problem.

Perhaps if bacula had a built cache, copy and verify mechanism use of
such offsite backup services would be easier and safer. I.e. do backup
to local disk (to avoid large jobs taking weeks/months and potentially
bombing half way through), copy these volumes to another location and
then verify the copy. A similar procedure in reverse would also remove
some headaches for restorations.

Edward