Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Amazon Glacier

2012-08-21 10:32:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Amazon Glacier
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:30:30 -0400
On 8/21/2012 8:38 AM, eric santelices wrote:
> With Amazon announcement of Glacier it seems like a natural fit for
> Bacula.  Does anyone know if/when we would see support for this
> storage resource?

It is not a good fit for direct access media. Uploading could be
accomplished, since large files can be uploaded in chunks, but retrieval
times for large files are given as 3 to 5 hours and the latency, even
for uploads, is indeterminate and likely quite long. It would likely
cause timeouts with Bacula. It might be a very reasonable service for
storing copies of Bacula volumes off site, but not for direct use by
Bacula as storage media. Their S3 service would be a better fit for use
as Bacula storage media.