Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] create large disk volumes for backup

2012-08-07 03:56:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] create large disk volumes for backup
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: d tbsky <tbskyd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:53:48 +0200
On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 02:26:51PM +0800, d tbsky wrote:
> 2012/8/5 Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
>
> > On 08/05/12 05:57, d tbsky wrote:
> > >First of all note that 5.2.10 is a considerably more recent version than
> > >2.0.0, and does nut therefore fall under "until 2.0.0".  :)  This should
> > >answer your question...
> >

>     but I didn't see any change log about this in the document. so I think
> maybe the situation is the same
> even I am using 5.2.10?
>     I wonder anyone use large disk volumes for backup?
>    thanks a lot for help!!

In a way, yes, but we're not happy with it because of the extremely
long recycle times. Most of our backups run on the weekend, so as a
consequence or volume for that day is rather big and I've begun moving
large and / or long-running backups to their own pools / devices /
storages. Still, recycling the volume takes around five hours, so if
I'd have to start from scratch again, I'd set up separate pools
etc. from the beginning. (volume size currently ranges from 500G to
1,4T).

If anyone has any ideas how to reduce the volume size while increasing
the number of volumes *without* having to constantly fiddle with the
maximum volumes in the pool definition as clients get added and
removed, I'm all ears.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG