Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Director keeps becoming unresponsive

2012-07-03 16:35:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Director keeps becoming unresponsive
From: Keith <keith AT scott-land DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 21:08:02 +0100
Hi,
    Our Bacula director keeps locking up and so far I've been unable to
identify exactly why it's happening. Basically everything seems fine
until we run a scheduled Full backup then after a minute or so BAT &
bconsole stop working.

Doing a "netstat -an" on the director machine I can still see port 9102
and I can see that clients are connected.
I can telnet to the director on port 9102 for a remote machine and get a
response.

I've looked through the logs in /var/bacula/working/ but can't see
anything wrong.

The Storage daemon is on another server and seems ok.
We use file based backups, By doing a "df -h" I can see that the backups
stop as the backup files stop increasing.

Doing just a "bacula stop" / "bacula start" and we can connect to the
director again.

Our  Bacula install was working quite well until last week.
Unfortunately I've changed loads since then and It's only since last
weekends full backups failed that I've realized that there's something
not quite right.

RECENT HISTORY...
Until a week ago we were using Bacula 5.2.3

Last week we upgrade the director to 5.2.9. The catalog was already at
the latest version (I think V13)

I realised that LZO compression only works on unix clients Doh!!! Gzip
is now enabled on our Windows servers (The manual doesn't make that very
clear)

I was trying to get data encription to work and managed ! WooHoo but
have disabled it on my test client until this issues is resolved.

I realized that the director and storage daemon should be on that version.

Upgraded Bacula and Storage to 5.2.10

MY HUNCH....
We have two networks A & B
We have two Schedules A & B
It seems like there's an issue with something on Schedule A. (
Currently I am eliminating clients form schedule-A and trying it to do a
FULL backup.

If anyone has any ideas they would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Keith