Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Director keeps becoming unresponsive

2012-07-05 11:06:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Director keeps becoming unresponsive
From: Keith <keith AT scott-land DOT net>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:05:14 +0100
On 05/07/2012 08:32, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 09:08:02PM +0100, Keith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>      Our Bacula director keeps locking up and so far I've been unable to
>> identify exactly why it's happening. Basically everything seems fine
>> until we run a scheduled Full backup then after a minute or so BAT &
>> bconsole stop working.
>>
> Maybe it's busy recycling volumes? What's the load on the server when
> this happens?
>
> Cheers, Uwe
>
>> Doing a "netstat -an" on the director machine I can still see port 9102
>> and I can see that clients are connected.
>> I can telnet to the director on port 9102 for a remote machine and get a
>> response.
>>
>> I've looked through the logs in /var/bacula/working/ but can't see
>> anything wrong.
>>
>> The Storage daemon is on another server and seems ok.
>> We use file based backups, By doing a "df -h" I can see that the backups
>> stop as the backup files stop increasing.
>>
>> Doing just a "bacula stop" / "bacula start" and we can connect to the
>> director again.
>>
>> Our  Bacula install was working quite well until last week.
>> Unfortunately I've changed loads since then and It's only since last
>> weekends full backups failed that I've realized that there's something
>> not quite right.
>>
>> RECENT HISTORY...
>> Until a week ago we were using Bacula 5.2.3
>>
>> Last week we upgrade the director to 5.2.9. The catalog was already at
>> the latest version (I think V13)
>>
>> I realised that LZO compression only works on unix clients Doh!!! Gzip
>> is now enabled on our Windows servers (The manual doesn't make that very
>> clear)
>>
>> I was trying to get data encription to work and managed ! WooHoo but
>> have disabled it on my test client until this issues is resolved.
>>
>> I realized that the director and storage daemon should be on that version.
>>
>> Upgraded Bacula and Storage to 5.2.10
>>
>> MY HUNCH....
>> We have two networks A & B
>> We have two Schedules A & B
>> It seems like there's an issue with something on Schedule A. (
>> Currently I am eliminating clients form schedule-A and trying it to do a
>> FULL backup.
>>

>> If anyone has any ideas they would be really appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Keith

Thanks for the reply, it seems like it's actually the version of Bacula
that's the problem. I rolled back to 5.2.3 and Bacula started to work
again and then upgraded to 5.2.6 and it carried on working. I'm away for
the next week and will do some more investigation as to what the problem
is when I return.

The Director is running on a OpenBSD 5.1 x64 virtual server and I think
it might be the OS that's the problem but I don't have the time to test
just now.

Keith