Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tandberg LTO-3 only writing ~200GB

2012-04-19 18:14:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tandberg LTO-3 only writing ~200GB
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:11:26 -0400
>> Bacula defaults to fixed blocks of ~ 64K. This will work with all LTO
>> drives but can be suboptimal in performance. You can change the block
>> settings in bacula-sd.conf however I believe that will make all tapes
>> that were written with the 64K blocks unusable without you manually
>> erasing the tape. I am stuck on 64K blocks for my LTO2 drive for that
>> very reason.
>
> as far as I've been able to tell from tests, you can't mix block sizes
> on one tape, however small block sizes continue to be readable for
> restores after changover and they will be written with large block sizes
> after being relabelled
>
> IE: The only requirement is to close off all open volumes before
> changing block size.

Now I think I remember. If I change the block size all tapes with the
previous block size will be not writable since they were previously
written with the smaller block sizes and you can not change fixed
block sizes on a tape that contains data. So my problem is I would
have to erase (rewind / weof) each tape to allow writing after the
change. With 120 tapes this will be a serious pain. If I ever get time
I will have to investigate this..

John