Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tandberg LTO-3 only writing ~200GB

2012-04-18 18:05:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tandberg LTO-3 only writing ~200GB
From: Andre Rossouw <andre AT arnet.co DOT za>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:19:30 +0200
Thanks for the replies. I still have 2 questions:

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 19:37 +0200, ganiuszka wrote:
> 2012/4/18 Andre Rossouw <andre AT arnet.co DOT za>:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have a system running Ubuntu 10.04 with Bacula 5.0.1. and a SCSI
> > Tandberg LTO-3 HH drive. It has been running without problems since
> > 2010. Last week it started writing ~200GB data to the media, and
> > reporting that the media is full.
> >
> >  FD Bytes Written:       235,602,974,800 (235.6 GB)
> >  SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
> >  Rate:                   12196.7 KB/s
> >  Software Compression:   None
> >  Volume Session Time:    1334732079
> >  Last Volume Bytes:      407,329,219,584 (407.3 GB)
> > --

I see that the media is full. But I have purged and relabeled the tape
for testing. From reading the documentation, should this not have marked
the tape to be recycled? Or do I need to move the tape into the scratch
pool for this to happen?

I have also run the btape fill command to test the drive and media
(after purging and relabeling). I get the following output:
btape: btape.c:2736 End of tape 201:0. Volume Bytes=200,404,463,616

It is an LTO 3 tape, so I should get 400GB uncompressed?

> It looks like on the tape is ~400GB data. Backup from above output has
> ~200GB data written. It looks well for me. Looking on 'Volume Session
> Id' it seems there also is some another backup. You can see jobs
> placed on this volume eg. by using bconsole.

Apologies if I'm doing something silly, but is there a way I can "erase"
the tape to ensure that there is nothing on the tape? Other than purge
and relabel?

Thanks
--
Andre Rossouw <andre AT arnet.co DOT za>