Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Best compression method for 90TB+ of data per week

2012-03-07 11:51:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Best compression method for 90TB+ of data per week
From: "Boutin, Stephen" <Stephen.Boutin AT lightningsource DOT com>
To: "'bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net'" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:49:38 -0600

Hi all,

I am currently running Bacula v5.0.3 in a Production environment. I have about 25TB worth of data being backed up by it for a weeks’ worth of Full & Incremental backups. I need to migrate an additional 65-70TB to it within the next few weeks. I currently keep 3 weeks’ worth of backups, so I imagine you can see my problem now. I want to, if possible, be able to store at least 2 weeks’ worth of data for all of these boxes. I am not currently using any compression. I see that LZO compression is available as of 5.2.1, which would help, but I am unfamiliar with the ratio of compression LZO averages. Basically, if I can somehow get 2 weeks’ worth of backup data (be about 180TB uncompressed/straight up) on a box that will have from 100-120TB available, that would be ideal. I am open to any & all suggestions to get this done, with Bacula. We are seriously considering an upgrade to at least 5.2.1, possibly 5.2.6, which I’m sure would help. I have already reduced my data file (max volume size) to 15GB for my data pool of the smaller backups & 150GB for my data pool of the larger ones. Please let me know your thoughts & ideas on how to implement a solution for this. Thanks!