Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best compression method for 90TB+ of data per week

2012-03-07 16:47:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best compression method for 90TB+ of data per week
From: Laurent Papier <bacula AT tuxfan DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 22:28:18 +0100
On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:49:38 -0600
"Boutin, Stephen" <Stephen.Boutin AT lightningsource DOT com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently running Bacula v5.0.3 in a Production environment. I have
> about 25TB worth of data being backed up by it for a weeks' worth of Full &
> Incremental backups. I need to migrate an additional 65-70TB to it within the
> next few weeks. I currently keep 3 weeks' worth of backups, so I imagine you
> can see my problem now. I want to, if possible, be able to store at least 2
> weeks' worth of data for all of these boxes. I am not currently using any
> compression. I see that LZO compression is available as of 5.2.1, which would
> help, but I am unfamiliar with the ratio of compression LZO averages.
> Basically, if I can somehow get 2 weeks' worth of backup data (be about 180TB
> uncompressed/straight up) on a box that will have from 100-120TB available,
> that would be ideal. I am open to any & all suggestions to get this done,
> with Bacula. We are seriously considering an upgrade to at least 5.2.1,
> possibly 5.2.6, which I'm sure would help. I have already reduced my data
> file (max vo
 lume size) to 15GB for my data pool of the smaller backups & 150GB for my data
pool of the larger ones. Please let me know your thoughts & ideas on how to
implement a solution for this. Thanks!

Hi,
the main feature of LZO compression is speed, not a good compression ratio. The
ratio depends on our data so it is very hard to guest the one in your case.

BTW, an easy solution to estimate the ratio could be to simply compress all
your current tapes with lzop.

shell script example:
foreach i in your_tape_name*; do echo -n "$i:"; lzop -c "$i" | wc -c; done

Tips: be sure to use lzo 2.05 or newer. The compression speed is about twice as
fast as the previous version on both i386 and x86_64 arch. I have not tested
other arch.

--
Laurent Papier