Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Comments wanted on new backup strategy

2012-03-07 04:37:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Comments wanted on new backup strategy
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:35:11 +0100
Hi folks,

we're going to change our backup strategy from "one size fits all" to
a more "contract proof" approach. We have about 110 clients with a
total of 6TB of data per week (full backup once per week).

The policy should look something like this:

- weekly full backup to online storage (RAID6)

- daily incrementals (so far, so good ;-) to online storage (RAID6)

- two full backups of each client kept on RAID6 disk

- monthly offline / copy jobs to LTO5 library (24 tapes, one drive)

- Additionally, we need to backup a couple of DB dumps (about 3TB) to
  tape on a monthly basis, most likely a separate pool.

I was wondering what the best approach for this would be, especially
as we've never worked with copy jobs.

I'm aware you can limit the number of jobs per volume and define a max
volume usage time & size, and ideally I'd like the full backups to end
up in a separate volume for each defined client so the file size
remains (sort of) sane *without* having to define a new pool for each
client.

We're running the latest and greatest bacula 5.2.6 compiled from
source on CentOS 6.2 64bit.

All the best & thanks in advance for your comments,

Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG