Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO media type mixup

2012-03-05 05:03:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO media type mixup
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:00:06 +0100
Am 02.03.2012 03:02, schrieb mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu:

> => I have replaced the previous LTO-1 drive by an LTO-2 one.
> => [...] When I mounted the current backup tape in the new
> => drive, Bacula [...] refused to use it. The only difference was that
> => it had media type "LTO-1" and Bacula requested "LTO-2".
>
> Did you make any change to the bacula configuration, specifically the "Media
> Type" definition in bacula-sd.conf?

Indeed, I commented out the device section "LTO-1" in bacula-sd.conf
and uncommented the "LTO-2" section instead, effectively changing
both Name and Media Type from "LTO-1" to "LTO-2", and adapted
bacula-dir.conf accordingly. I guess that was my mistake.

> => - If I connect two LTO drives of different levels to the
> =>   same Bacula server, is there a way to use the same tape
> =>   alternatingly in both drives as supported by the
> =>   hardware? (*without* losing the data on it, that is)
>
> Yes.
>
> Don't change the "Media Type" string in bacula-sd.conf.
>
> In our environment, we've migrated from LTO-2 => LTO-3 => LTO-4. The
> current library can read LTO-2 tapes, and can write to LTO-3 (as per the
> LTO standard). Our bacula-sd.conf definition for "Media Type" still has
> "LTO-2", and that's written to all the tapes, including the LTO-3 and
> LTO-4 tapes, when they are labeled.

Makes sense. In that case, wouldn't it be better if the default
bacula-sd.conf distributed with Bacula would just say
"Media Type = LTO" for all the LTO devices? That would reduce
the temptation to change that field when changing drives.

Another question: Is there a way to fix the mix-up I've created?
"update volume" doesn't let me change the media type. Can I just
run the MySQL query
  update Media set MediaType = 'LTO-2' where MediaType = 'LTO-1'
or is there more to it?

Thanks,
Tilman

--