Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Zarafa

2012-02-23 05:28:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Zarafa
From: Bastian Friedrich <bastian.friedrich AT collax DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:25:17 +0100
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012, 09:55:00 schrieb Masopust, Christian:
> Short question: anyone using Bacula to backup Zarafa?   What to consider?
> Any pitfalls?
>
> Ok... these were 3 questions...  :))

Collax provides a number of Zarafa based products; our basic backup technology
is Bacula. So ... We do. :)

1) Consider combining Zarafa's internal backup technology (Brick Level Backup)
with Bacula. We encourage users to create frequent incremental backups, which
then can/should be stored for longer-term usage via Bacula.

2) You can simply dump the Zarafa database with mysqldump (or anything the
like), possibly in conjunction with Bacula's bpipe plugin. This will result in
no longer being able to create incremental backups, but depending on the size
of your installation, that may well be OK.

3) File based backup of MySQL is possible, if appropriate steps are taken.
Cannot tell you too much about that, though. If you do something like this,
you might consider using Postgres for Bacula. This will help reduce load on
each of the databases, and will reduce write access (Catalog) to the database
your are backing up.

In our own infrastructure, we do frequent Brick-level backups with Zarafa's
tools, and backup up the database, the attachment store, and the brick-level
store in daily incrementals via Bacula (and bpipe/mysqldump in case of the
database).

Best regards
   Bastian

--
Collax GmbH . Basler Str. 115a . 79115 Freiburg . Germany
p: +49 (0) 89-990 157-28        www.collax.com

Geschäftsführer: Bernd Bönte, Boris Nalbach
AG München HRB 173695. Ust.-IdNr: DE270819312