Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] I want to build bacula-fd on Tru64

2012-02-17 06:45:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] I want to build bacula-fd on Tru64
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:42:40 GMT

> Hello,
>
> 2012/2/15 Gary R. Schmidt <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
>
> > > It is not possible because every Alpha CPU starting from very first
> > > 21064 was a 64bit cpu and no 32bit was ever designed. :)
> > >
> > Yes, the Alpha is 64-bit, but there are a set of compiler flags that
> > sort of "switch off" the top 32-bits of each word, and reduce the
> > address space of the binary such that it must be loaded in the first 4Gb
> > of virtual address space.
> >

> I don't understand what do you mean by " ... "switch off" the top 32-bits
> of each word ...".
>
> You can't run a 32bit instructions on Alpha because they don't exist. All I
> can imagine is a some kind of emulation of different CPU ISA like x86.
>

> > They were used to port a lot of VMS code that had all sorts of silly
> > assumptions about various things being the same size, or being less than
> > 32-bits away.
> >

> Well, all Alpha registers are 64bits, so a compiler was building a code
> which cuts all registers to 32bit value?
> It should slow down an application by factor of 2 or more....

IIRC, it was a set of linker options that would cause everything to be mapped
in the bottom 4GB of the address space.  It has no effect the code generator,
so registers were still 64-bit and sizeof(long) and sizeof(char *) were still
8 bytes, but it would allow all of the important bits of a pointer to fit into
32 bits.  This allowed code to cast between pointer types and int.

> The original problem was a missing declaration of intptr_t. I don't think
> it is related on 32/64 bittness.

Agreed.

I think the next thing is to examine the output of configure (in particular,
src/config.h and config.log).  AFAICS, it should try to deal with intptr_t.

__Martin