Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SD crashes

2012-02-15 08:35:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SD crashes
From: Joe Nyland <joenyland AT me DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:31:10 +0000 (GMT)
On 14 Feb, 2012,at 03:47 PM, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com> wrote:

> > I've been running the SD using the following command (I know the combination
> > of options I have used may be excessive, but I wanted as much chance of
> > catching the error as I could!) since yesterday afternoon:
> >    sudo bacula-sd -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf -d 100 -dt -f -u bacula -g
> > tape -m -v | tee -a /mnt/array/bacula-sd.screen.log
> >
> > However, (as luck would have it) I've not seen the behaviour I originally
> > reported whilst running with debug options.
> >
> > Is there any way in which running the SD with the combination of options I
> > have used above, could cause any different behaviour of the SD? Or interfere
> > in any way with it? I'm asking, becuase I have re-enabled all of the backups
> > jobs I have on the server, and I have still not seen it crash again.
> >

> Could be a timing issue that the delay in writing the log causes the
> bad behavior to not happen.. Those types of problems are hard to
> debug.

Running it under gdb without the debug options is better approach in that
case.

http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/problems/problems/What_Do_When_Bacula.html#SECTION00640000000000000000

When it 'crashes' (though it sounds more like 'hangs' is a better word),
interrupt gdb with Ctrl-c to get back to the gdb shell window (as in step 8).

__Martin

Martin and John, thank you for your replies.

I since yesterday afternoon, bacula-sd has been running under gdb using the instructions in the manual for my Bacula version, however I've still not seen the issue originally reported.

I agree with you both that by running it under a debugging process, it seems a delay is introduced which is suppressing the error in some way. Is my best bet just to leave bacula-sd running under gdb and hope that my full backups over the weekend may highlight the issue? Or is there another way I could debug this?

Thanks,

Joe