Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SD crashes

2012-02-13 06:41:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SD crashes
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Joe Nyland <joenyland AT me DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:37:42 +0100
Hi Joe,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:21:03AM +0000, Joe Nyland wrote:
> I hope someone would be able to offer any suggestions of why I am seeing the
> following behaviour in my current Bacula setup:
> Since the tail end of last week, I have been having issues with my MySQL
> backups in Bacula, where they would randomly appear to 'crash', normally when
> performing a copy of a backup to another pool - but I'm not sure yet if this
> is the trigger.

With bacula 5.0.3 I had frequent crashes on Copy Jobs as I ran out of
memory. The SD-box has only 4GB RAM, now I added 8GB swap and it seems
to run fine.

> NOTE: bconsole appears to crash here - no further output is produced, and
> bconsole does not respond to any key presses. I have to Ctrl + C to exit out
> from bconsole. Furthermore, the only way I can clear our the failed jobs from
> the 'Running jobs queue' is to exit from bconsole, issue 'sudo service
> bacula-sd stop' twice, then restart the SD and restart bacula-director.

Here the bacula-sd crashes and misses from process list.

I have another issue I have not been able to track down so far. The tape
changer seems to claim it has 0 slots now and then and bacula-sd really
dislikes that. Seems mostly to happen when tapes are moving and some
'mtx status'-like command is issued. If this happens, I need to stop
bacula-sd, it will take some time to umount the tape (bacula-sd has 'D'
state in 'ps'), only afterwards it can be started again and all is fine.
'update slots' without restart won't help, even as 'mtx status' gives
correct output again. Perhaps this is comparable to your "issue 'sudo
service bacula-sd stop' twice".

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91