Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Schedule virtual servers so their not running concurrently

2012-01-30 11:33:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Schedule virtual servers so their not running concurrently
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: keith <keith AT scott-land DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:31:37 +0100
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20:15AM +0000, keith wrote:
> We have about 80 virtual servers running on 20 Physical servers that
> need backed up.

I tend and just ignore that problem as my virtual servers have quite
different data on it and the network is the limiting factor here, not
the disk io. Nonetheless a few thoughts...

> Our current plan is to have just one Schedule that will start at 1am
> then we will give each virtual server a unique priority, We plan to give
> the the first Job a priority of 5 then the next 10 and on.....This seems
> a messy but I can't see any other way to stop or limit the number of
> virtual servers on the same physical server from running at the same time.

What about scheduling the next job on each physical server as a post-job
to the last one?
You could add the info which virtual server resides on which phyical one
to an extra table in the bacula database you have anyway, then just
write a generic job that selects the next job to be run.
e.g. a table
# Be aware, pseudo sql code, won't work, just to illustrate the idea
create table my_schedule_classes {
  id int autoincrement,
  physical varchar(255),
  virtual varchar(255),
}

SELECT virtual FROM my_schedule_classes WHERE id>(SELECT id FROM
my_schedule_classes WHERE virtual='%my-current-job') AND physical=(SELECT
physical FROM my_schedule_classes WHERE virtual='%my-current-job') ORDER BY id
ASC LIMIT 1
gives the job name.

Bacula has some variable for '%my-current-job'.
If you add the physical servers jobs to the table, you can just start
the schedule by scheduling the physical servers job. Instead of a
schedule for the virtual servers you need to add them to the table.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91