Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)

2012-01-25 13:47:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)
From: Steven Schlansker <steven AT likeness DOT com>
To: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:39:10 -0800
On Jan 25, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Ben Walton wrote:

> Excerpts from Steven Schlansker's message of Wed Jan 25 12:34:10 -0500 2012:
>
> Hi Steven,
>
>> Looking through the documentation, there's no obvious way to
>> guarantee order or backups within a FileSet.  Is there some
>> particular order that Bacula uses that I can rely on portably?  (I
>> assume not, but would love if there is) If not, would it be hard to
>> add an option that say ensures that backups recurse in
>> e.g. alphabetical order?
>
> What about using LVM (assuming Linux, but substitute and alternate as
> appropriate) to snapshot the volume housing the data.  You then run a
> pre-hook to create and mount the snapshot, point your fileset at the
> mounted snapshot and tear it down with a post-hook?
>
> That way, order isn't important as you get a stable snapshot of all
> the files at a point in time, which should preserve the recoverability
> of the WAL for you, no?

Yeah, I think that will be how I will do this if I cannot get the non-snapshot
approach to work.

The main thing holding me back is that the machines (there are many of them) do
not necessarily all have the same LVM configuration.

So I would then have to write some script which correctly determines which LVs
to snapshot and back them all up, and it would need to be very careful to not
leave stray snapshots around taking up space.  Not hard, but going to require a
few days' worth of work / testing / review to make sure there's no edge cases.
I was trying to avoid the need to do that and have a simpler solution that
doesn't require mucking with LVM.

Right now it's as simple as recursively backing up / with some obvious excludes
(/proc and such), and doesn't at all depend on the LVM configuration.

I'd still be curious to hear other options to my original question, but thanks
for the input.