Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)

2012-01-25 12:36:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)
From: Steven Schlansker <steven AT likeness DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:34:10 -0800
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a Bacula job to run a hot backup of a PostgreSQL
installation.

The fundamentals of how it would work are covered in the manual, but I will
summarize here for the list.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/continuous-archiving.html

Normally if you just take a filesystem backup of the Postgres data files, you
will end up with completely
inconsistent data.  But if you turn on WAL archiving and keep the WAL files
with the backup, the database
then can recover all the potentially corrupt segments by replaying these
archived WAL files.

The only catch is that you need all the WAL files archived at least until the
backup of the main data files finishes.

All this means that if only I could guarantee that the WAL files are backed up
after the data files, I could have complete
hot backups of my Postgres install with only a short pre/post hook.

Looking through the documentation, there's no obvious way to guarantee order or
backups within a FileSet.  Is there some particular
order that Bacula uses that I can rely on portably?  (I assume not, but would
love if there is)  If not, would it be hard to add an
option that say ensures that backups recurse in e.g. alphabetical order?

I know I could set up two FileSets and two Jobs, but that is both more complex
and makes doing differential / incremental backups and restores much more
complicated.  I'd prefer to have a single job that does it all.

Thanks for any guidance,
Steven