Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)

2012-01-25 13:22:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Ensuring files made during the backup run are archived (hot-backup PostgreSQL)
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:20:54 -0500
Excerpts from Steven Schlansker's message of Wed Jan 25 12:34:10 -0500 2012:

Hi Steven,

> Looking through the documentation, there's no obvious way to
> guarantee order or backups within a FileSet.  Is there some
> particular order that Bacula uses that I can rely on portably?  (I
> assume not, but would love if there is) If not, would it be hard to
> add an option that say ensures that backups recurse in
> e.g. alphabetical order?

What about using LVM (assuming Linux, but substitute and alternate as
appropriate) to snapshot the volume housing the data.  You then run a
pre-hook to create and mount the snapshot, point your fileset at the
mounted snapshot and tear it down with a post-hook?

That way, order isn't important as you get a stable snapshot of all
the files at a point in time, which should preserve the recoverability
of the WAL for you, no?

Thanks
-Ben
--