Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encrypting Data on Tape

2012-01-11 03:32:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encrypting Data on Tape
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:11:19 +0100
Op 11/01/2012 7:38, Thomas Mueller schreef:
> Am Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:12:26 -0500 schrieb Craig Van Tassle:
>
>> I'm sorry if this has been asked before.
>>
>> I'm running a Scalar 50 with HP LTO-4 Drives. I want to encrypt the data
>> that is put on the tape, We already have encryption going between the
>> Dir/SD and FD's. I just want to encrypt the data that will be placed on
>> Tape for OffSite storage.
>>
>> Has anyone done that or know some pointers to point me to so I can get
>> this working?
>>
>> Thanks!
> bacula encryption takes place on the file-daemon. Encryption on the
> storage-daemon is not supported (... yet, it's on the projects list
> http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/plain/bacula/projects?
> h=Branch-5.2)
>
> as Steve said, (some?) LTO tapes support on-drive encryption. never used
> it by myself.
>
> - Thomas
Most of the LTO-4 and LTO-5 drives support encryption in hardware. To
make this work however there needs to be support for this in the backup
software you're using.
This is necessary for determining and managing the keys used as well as
enabling the encryption. Currently bacula is not able to do this, only a
few commercial backup solutions offer this.

Regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm