Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encrypting Data on Tape

2012-01-11 01:41:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encrypting Data on Tape
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:38:55 +0000 (UTC)
Am Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:12:26 -0500 schrieb Craig Van Tassle:

> I'm sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I'm running a Scalar 50 with HP LTO-4 Drives. I want to encrypt the data
> that is put on the tape, We already have encryption going between the
> Dir/SD and FD's. I just want to encrypt the data that will be placed on
> Tape for OffSite storage.
>
> Has anyone done that or know some pointers to point me to so I can get
> this working?
>
> Thanks!

bacula encryption takes place on the file-daemon. Encryption on the
storage-daemon is not supported (... yet, it's on the projects list
http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/plain/bacula/projects?
h=Branch-5.2)

as Steve said, (some?) LTO tapes support on-drive encryption. never used
it by myself.

- Thomas