Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows VSS backup mystery

2012-01-08 11:53:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows VSS backup mystery
From: starlight AT binnacle DOT cx
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 11:45:21 -0500
Hello,

Have just finished setting up Bacula 5.2.3 for
fifteen machines and it's working terrifically.

However I've encountered some mysterious behavior
backuping-up a Windows Server 2008 system that I
attribute to VSS since backups are run with VSS
active and verifies run with VSS off.

When a DiskToCatalog verify is run for this
system, close to 500 files are reported as "new"
in the verify even though the last incremental ran
immediately before the verify.

The files all seem to be related to Windows
Update.  In particular I ran a WU on the client in
question before the last backup.  In that WU, all
patches not requiring a reboot were run (.NET,
Office, etc.) and the kernel and core Windows
patches were left unapplied.

A quick run of the "restore" file tree browser
confirms that the files are not in the backups,
and Windows Explorer confirms that they do indeed
exist.

A list of the files is attached.

If anyone is familiar with this behavior and can
shed further light on, it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks for the awesome product.