Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with Jumbo packets?

2012-01-06 12:22:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with Jumbo packets?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:20:35 -0500
On 01/06/12 11:55, Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> Some Network card are supposed to "support" Jumbo frames but not as high
> value as 9000 octets.
> I remember I had issues with some broadcom NIC that couldn't go further
> than 7200.
> Maybe you could take a look at the NIC on the impacted hosts

That.  Before enabling jumbo frames on ANY network link, test from both
ends with MTU steps from about 4000 or so to 9000 in steps of 500 to
1000 (smaller, if you're patient) to make sure that both NICs *AND THEIR
DRIVERS* actually support jumbo frames, and find out what maximum MTU
they support.  I bought a D-Link 24-port gigabit switch that supports
jumbo frames up to about MTU 9400, specifically to get jumbo frame
support, and only then, when I could actually test, found out that
neither the Solaris 10 bcm driver for the Broadcom GigE ports on my
server, nor the Linux forcedeth driver for the nVidia MCP77 GigE port on
my workstation, support jumbo frames.

Needless to say, I was annoyed.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.