Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Linux: backup and restore of file capabilities ?

2012-01-03 09:00:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Linux: backup and restore of file capabilities ?
From: Marco van Wieringen <mvw AT planets.elm DOT net>
To: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 14:40:00 +0100
On 01/ 3/12 11:10 AM, Simone Caronni wrote:
Hello,

> > > So I would say give the xattr=yes a go on your install and see
> > > if it works for these attributes. You could create a test fileset
> > > with a known file with a posix file capability and run the bacula-fd
> > > with a debug level of 100 and watch for xattr save messages.

I can confirm the version of Bacula in Fedora 16 you're mentioning is compiled with the xattr support.
If you want to try a later build with the same version you can download the latest update which is still in updates-testing. To install you should do (as root):

yum -y --enablerepo=updates-testing update bacula-\*

Here are the update requests with the changes:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/bacula-5.0.3-17.fc16
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/bacula-5.0.3-17.fc15

The line that states "POSIX.1e" capabilities in the changelog is only relevant to the enablement of bacula-fd regarding the ReadAll capability (-k).

Ok interesting I'm currently looking at this code as I'm not so sure it wise to use
that if you want to save acls and xattr successfully. I still have to see how this
priviledge stuff works on Linux but we might need some more to be able
to save acl and xattr data.

Otherwise you can try the latest 5.2.3 backported from rawhide:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/README.txt

For now I just compiled the code myself so that I can run a debugger on it.

But I think I have found the problem.

First of all we have a snarfu due to fixing bug #1610 see

http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1806

for those interested. We currently save on Linux and OSX one and only
one xattr for any file.

The fix for that was obvious and is commited.

I also created a second bug for the posix file capability restore issue.
Because when I fix bug 1806 the backup of the posix file capability
works and the restore also (when I strace the process I see
the restore of the data taking place.) But we run into an other
problem as Bacula restores the mode and owner later on
and does a chown and chmod on the restored file and
that clears the posix file capability.

For those interested:

http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1807

I need to think how we are going to solve that.

Marco