Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Linux: backup and restore of file capabilities ?

2012-01-03 05:13:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Linux: backup and restore of file capabilities ?
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Marco van Wieringen <mvw AT planets.elm DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:10:08 +0100
Hello,

> > > So I would say give the xattr=yes a go on your install and see
> > > if it works for these attributes. You could create a test fileset
> > > with a known file with a posix file capability and run the bacula-fd
> > > with a debug level of 100 and watch for xattr save messages.

I can confirm the version of Bacula in Fedora 16 you're mentioning is compiled with the xattr support.
If you want to try a later build with the same version you can download the latest update which is still in updates-testing. To install you should do (as root):

yum -y --enablerepo=updates-testing update bacula-\*

Here are the update requests with the changes:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/bacula-5.0.3-17.fc16
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/bacula-5.0.3-17.fc15

The line that states "POSIX.1e" capabilities in the changelog is only relevant to the enablement of bacula-fd regarding the ReadAll capability (-k).

Otherwise you can try the latest 5.2.3 backported from rawhide:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/README.txt

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).