Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] HW crypto offload

2011-10-18 04:39:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] HW crypto offload
From: Alex Crow <acrow AT integrafin.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:37:30 +0100
Hi,

We have set up a backup server that uses encryption in the File Daemon.
However we find it is really slow, in fact we are only getting about
80Mbps (megabits, not -bytes) throughput while running 4 backup threads.
This is backing up from an NFS-connected disk backup host that can
easily saturate a 1Gbps link when I just dd the contents of a large file
to /dev/null on the backup server. It's actually taking us nearly a week
now to do a fortnightly backup of 16TB.

I've noticed that crypto cards from Exar are supported by OpenSSL and
seen to provide support for AES-CBC. From a previous message on this list:

http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-04/msg00232.html

it seems someone looked at patching to support offload, however I cannot
find any outcome from this.

If it is supported in any way, I'd be happy to know. If not, what would
be the best way about getting it implemented?

Best regards

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on
the FSA Register; number: 190856)