Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HW crypto offload

2011-10-30 07:44:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HW crypto offload
From: Ben Laurie <ben AT links DOT org>
To: Alex Crow <acrow AT integrafin.co DOT uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:41:53 +0000
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Alex Crow <acrow AT integrafin.co DOT uk>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have set up a backup server that uses encryption in the File Daemon.
> However we find it is really slow, in fact we are only getting about
> 80Mbps (megabits, not -bytes) throughput while running 4 backup threads.
> This is backing up from an NFS-connected disk backup host that can
> easily saturate a 1Gbps link when I just dd the contents of a large file
> to /dev/null on the backup server. It's actually taking us nearly a week
> now to do a fortnightly backup of 16TB.
>
> I've noticed that crypto cards from Exar are supported by OpenSSL and
> seen to provide support for AES-CBC. From a previous message on this list:
>
> http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-04/msg00232.html
>
> it seems someone looked at patching to support offload, however I cannot
> find any outcome from this.
>
> If it is supported in any way, I'd be happy to know. If not, what would
> be the best way about getting it implemented?

I'd want to be pretty sure its going to help before doing this. On my
(somewhat aged) development machine, OpenSSL can do AES-128 CBC at 55
MB/s (bytes, not bits), so it doesn;t sound like crypto is necessarily
your bottleneck.

Also, crypto "accelerators" rarely do in my experience.