Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How many active processes should Bacula spawn? Seeing over 400+

2011-09-22 09:57:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How many active processes should Bacula spawn? Seeing over 400+
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:54:40 -0400
On 09/22/2011 09:30 AM, R. Leigh Hennig wrote:
> I have Bacula 5.0.2 installed and have a number of clients (15 in total)
> and storage resources (5 total), and on the system that my director is
> installed on has about 433 active processes. This seems very excessive.
> The vast, vast majority of them are these processes:
>
> watchdog/n
> ksoftirqd/n
> migration/n
> events/n
> kblocked/n
> cqueue/n
> aio/n
> ata/n
> kmpathd/n
> xfslogd/n
> ib_cm/n
> rpciod/n
>
> Where "n" is some number between 0 and 23. Is this normal? Does this
> look right to you guys? Is something abnormal here? Thanks for your input,

None of those are Bacula or Bacula-related processes.  All of those are
associated with the Linux kernel and related subsystems.  If the machine
has a large number of CPU cores, there is nothing abnormal about what
you are describing.  You should see an xfslogd process for each XFS
filesystem, and many of those other processes you have listed should
have one process per CPU core.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.