Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Postgres 9?

2011-09-09 20:08:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Postgres 9?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:05:50 -0400
On 9/9/2011 3:04 PM, Rodrigo Renie Braga wrote:
> Hello list!!
>
> Has anyone used Bacula with the brand new Postgres 9? I've seen that now
> Postgres supports multiple encoding for it's databases, and that's really
> helpful to me because all my websites are using UTF8 and only for Bacula I'm
> using 'latin1' (thats the correct encoding right?) and I'd like to use only
> one instance of Postgres for my server...

You can use different encodings for different databases.  On this
server, I have SQL_ASCII for postgresql, and UTF8 for nagios.

$ psql -l | egrep "bacula|nagios|template"
 bacula           | bacula | SQL_ASCII | C         | C     | =Tc/bacula
                                                           :
bacula=CTc/bacula
                                                           :
wwwbacula=c/bacula
 nagios           | dan    | UTF8      | C         | C     |
 template0        | pgsql  | UTF8      | C         | C     | =c/pgsql
 template1        | pgsql  | UTF8      | C         | C     | pgsql=CTc/pgsql
$

The correct encoding for Bacula is SQL_ASCII, not latin1.

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Installing_Configuring_Post.html

Choosing anything else other than SQL_ASCII is prone to error.  Can you
guarantee that your users will only create file names that conform to
latin1?  If not, then your database insert will fail when said filename
is inserted into the database.  SQL_ASCII ensures that any filename
encoding will work.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/