Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?

2011-09-06 09:42:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 14:39:34 +0100
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011, Dan Schaefer wrote:

> This certainly will fix my problem. All my backups are in fact
> disk-based and I have a separate process backing up to tapes (not
> Bacula, atm). I like the idea of the virtual full option, because my
> full backups usually take longer than I would like. Keeping the full
> backup processing on the director will help out a lot, because the
> backups are of the live servers and the diffs and incs will all finish
> "after hours". I will try this VirtualFull option and report back.

This page is worth a look then....

http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION00310000000000000000
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION00370000000000000000

What I tend to do is along the lines of:

1. Enable the accurate option on the backup job.
2. Create two pools for full backups.
3. Create two disk-based storage devices in bacula-sd.conf, both pointed at
   the same directory.  You will read from one while writing to the other.
4. Define both Storage devices in bacula-dir.
5. Define two pools (P1, P2) for Full backups.  On each, set NextPool to be
   the other full pool.
6. Create two schedule entries
     Run = Level=VirtualFull Pool="P1" on 1  at 5:05
     Run = Level=VirtualFull Pool="P2" on 16 at 5:05

This will switch back and forth between writing from P1 to P2 and P2 to P1.

This is how I got it to work and seems to work well.  It's possible there's
a better way though, as it always seems a bit messy to have multiple pools
and devices.  On the other hand, if this were tapes, two devices would
obviously be required.  I'm less sure if you can get away with one pool
though, with itself as NextPool.

Any corrections or improvements to the above would be most welcome.

Gavin