Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?

2011-09-01 17:47:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] My backup schedule overlaps. Can it be fixed?
From: Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
To: Dan Schaefer <dan AT performanceadmin DOT com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:50:49 -0700
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Dan Schaefer <dan AT performanceadmin DOT com>
wrote:
> In English, I want to do a full backup on the 1st and the 16th of every
> month. I also want to do a differential backup every Sunday and an
> Incremental Monday-Saturday.
> Here is my config:
>         Run = Level=Full Pool="Full-Pool Developer-PC" on 1,16 at 0:05
>         Run = Level=Differential Pool="Diff-Pool Developer-PC" sun at 0:15
>         Run = Level=Incremental Pool="Inc-Pool Developer-PC" mon-sat at
> 0:25
>
> Since the Full backups are represented in numbers, the Diff and Inc
> backups always have overlap with the Full. For example, today Sept 1, a
> full backup was scheduled to run @ 00:05 and an incremental backup was
> scheduled @ 0:25. If in fact there were no changes to the files in the
> fileset, the incremental backup shouldn't have backed up anything. But
> it runs anyway.
>
> Is there a schedule that I can configure that will eliminate backup
> redundancy? One option is to do a diff on, say, the 8th and 22st of the
> month and the incremental on every other day not covered. I would,
> however, like to keep the differentials on Sunday.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Dan Schaefer
> Web Developer/Systems Analyst
> Performance Administration Corp.
> ph 800-405-3148

The incremental will run, but it shouldn't back anything up if nothing
changed since the last time the job ran.  When it runs, it looks to
see if anything changed and if not, exits with OK. There is no
redundancy there.  Check the byte count of the job or list the files
backed up by the job to see if it actually moved anything.  If the
byte count is 0 and/or there are no files in it, then it's working
exactly as you expect.

However, if your full backup didn't finish before the incremental
started, then the incremental could not use the full backup for
comparison.  It will have used the last completed backup instead.  To
resolve this, make sure that "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in the Job
resource to '1'.  This is the default so it is already set to '1'
unless you've defined it in the Job or a referenced JobDefs resource.
Basically, if you're not defining "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" anywhere,
then this second paragraph is not what's happening.

Eric