Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling

2011-09-03 10:13:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling
From: Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:06:05 -0700
On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 07:42 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
> wrote:
> > Have been tinkering with spooling... 1 server (perhaps 1.6 TB of backup
> > data) and 20 clients (varying from 30 - 400 GB per client).
> >
> > It is sort of difficult to test since I don't really know what is going
> > to happen with a FULL backup of many TB of data until it actually runs
> > and it's not the sort of thing I want to do for fun.
> >
> > SD has 'Maximum Spool Size = 750G'
> >
> > Disk has approximately 860G free when not backing up/spooling
> >
> > Allowing 3 simultaneous jobs at a time.
> >
> > Last month - this setup worked well... cut my backup time in half but
> > that of course was incremental backups but worked rather poorly for my
> > first 'Full' backup.
> >
> > I am thinking that the local server (running SD & Director w/ 1.6 TB of
> > backup data) swamped the spool and so I am thinking of turning off
> > spooling for this system - possibly putting it a lower Priority level so
> > it completes first but I would rather have the first couple of clients
> > spool while the server is being backed up.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > If I have a Maximum Spool Size of 750G, should I also set Maximum Job
> > Spool Size of 250G to allow for 3 simultaneous jobs?
> >

> What exactly is the problem? I have way more than 20 clients but I
> instead use a 10GB spool file and allow 5+ clients to backup at the
> same time. Individual rates are not great but with spooling the tape
> drives are usually busy.
----
right now, the problem would appear to be a very high cpu from the SD

It appears that I am also swapping heavily and this is on a lightly used
server.

I gather that the large spools are the issue and I think you have clued
me in... I should probably make much smaller spools and allow more
simultaneous jobs and thereby not overload the system with huge spools.

Craig

believed to be clean.