Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling

2011-09-03 07:45:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 07:42:43 -0400
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
wrote:
> Have been tinkering with spooling... 1 server (perhaps 1.6 TB of backup
> data) and 20 clients (varying from 30 - 400 GB per client).
>
> It is sort of difficult to test since I don't really know what is going
> to happen with a FULL backup of many TB of data until it actually runs
> and it's not the sort of thing I want to do for fun.
>
> SD has 'Maximum Spool Size = 750G'
>
> Disk has approximately 860G free when not backing up/spooling
>
> Allowing 3 simultaneous jobs at a time.
>
> Last month - this setup worked well... cut my backup time in half but
> that of course was incremental backups but worked rather poorly for my
> first 'Full' backup.
>
> I am thinking that the local server (running SD & Director w/ 1.6 TB of
> backup data) swamped the spool and so I am thinking of turning off
> spooling for this system - possibly putting it a lower Priority level so
> it completes first but I would rather have the first couple of clients
> spool while the server is being backed up.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> If I have a Maximum Spool Size of 750G, should I also set Maximum Job
> Spool Size of 250G to allow for 3 simultaneous jobs?

What exactly is the problem? I have way more than 20 clients but I
instead use a 10GB spool file and allow 5+ clients to backup at the
same time. Individual rates are not great but with spooling the tape
drives are usually busy.

John