Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about spooling

2011-09-01 06:35:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about spooling
From: Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:33:23 +0200
Il 01/09/2011 11:36, frank_sg ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing some tests about spooling. I have created a spool filesystem for
> testing purposes. I decided to try a quiet small one - just 10 GB. Well, I
> get an ugly perfomance (<10MB/s) with this one. So I assume that the spool
> file system is too small - is this assumption right?
>
> To get a bigger spool fs, there might be some options:
> 1) What is better: bigger spool fs or faster spool fs? So first option: 3,6
> TB RAID0 with 12 SAS disks direct attatched vs second option: 2 or 3 120 GB
> SSDs?
> 2) Does it make any sense to have a spool fs much bigger than the tape size?
> (LTO4 - 800MB, with compression up to 1,6 TB - so does it make sense to use a
> fs>  1,6 TB?)
> 3) Specially with the SSDs - will I run in problems because of MTBF? Is
> anybody using SSDs for spool fs?
>
> I have an autoloader with an SAS-LTO4 drive and I would like to get the drive
> to steam as fast as possible.
>
> Thanks for you answers!
> Regards,
> Frank

> |This was sent by fes AT frankeseidel DOT de via Backup Central.

I'll add my 2 cents about spool filesystem size.
IME the spool space gets emptied after every job run, so you need enough
space just for the biggest job run you'll ever have, not for the entire
tape.
I'm not sure if this is a general rule or applies only to my setup though.

About performance: to test the spool space performance I'd run some
local disk benchmarks. Bacula job speed depends on so many other factors
that it's almost impossible to use it as a benchmark for a single
subsystem of the entire bacup process.
In particular, look for bottlenecks at the client side: cpu, network and
disk seek times.

HTH.

--
Marcello Romani