Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Questions about spooling

2011-09-01 05:38:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Questions about spooling
From: frank_sg <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 02:36:08 -0700
Hi,

I am doing some tests about spooling. I have created a spool filesystem for
testing purposes. I decided to try a quiet small one - just 10 GB. Well, I get
an ugly perfomance (<10MB/s) with this one. So I assume that the spool file
system is too small - is this assumption right?

To get a bigger spool fs, there might be some options:
1) What is better: bigger spool fs or faster spool fs? So first option: 3,6 TB
RAID0 with 12 SAS disks direct attatched vs second option: 2 or 3 120 GB SSDs?
2) Does it make any sense to have a spool fs much bigger than the tape size?
(LTO4 - 800MB, with compression up to 1,6 TB - so does it make sense to use a
fs > 1,6 TB?)
3) Specially with the SSDs - will I run in problems because of MTBF? Is anybody
using SSDs for spool fs?

I have an autoloader with an SAS-LTO4 drive and I would like to get the drive
to steam as fast as possible.

Thanks for you answers!
Regards,
Frank