Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] May I use Bacula to check if someone is using my pc without my permission?

2011-08-05 01:32:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] May I use Bacula to check if someone is using my pc without my permission?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 01:29:56 -0400
On 08/04/11 23:55, alberto abel wrote:
> Hi!
> I have reason to believe that someone is using my pc without permission
> and for now I prefer not to protect it with a password, because I'd like
> to check the honesty of such person to see if this person is really
> doing what I believe or not.
> I would like to know if with Bacula I could see if someone opens my word
> files in my pc even if they delete the voice from the list of recently
> opened files. And if I can see if they have tried to look on my facebook
> and webmail (I like to leave session open) even if they delete the
> chronology. And things like that. I mean, does Bacula only backup
> changes to physical data (edit, delete, etc) or does it also create a
> record of all the activities in the pc, visited paes, opened files and
> programs, anything done in the pc and also a record of last time that
> the pc was turned on?
> If yes, how can I ask to Bacula to create such a record?
> If not, any idea about a program which can do that?
> And is Bacula the same of SAN Bacula?

The short answer:  Bacula is a network-centric backup system, not an
intrusion detection system.  There is no reasonable way to make it do
what you want to do.  If you leave the machine around with an open
console and no password, you have no expectation whatsoever of security.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.