Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Device

2011-07-10 11:17:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Device
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:14:39 -0400
On 6/29/2011 5:05 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> By default, Bacula will select a volume that is already in a drive in
> preference to a volume not in a drive. For concurrent jobs writing to
> the same pool, this means they will always select the same volume. Thus
> if you set MaximumConcurrentJobs=1 in the SD Device, then it will not be
> possible to run concurrent jobs that write to the same pool, because the
> concurrent jobs will select the same volume, which can only be written
> to by one job at a time, forcing them to be serialized. To get around
> the default behavior, set PreferMountedVolumes=no in the Job definition
> of the jobs that will both run concurrently AND write to the same pool.
> This will cause the opposite behavior. Bacula will prefer selecting a
> volume that is NOT already in use in a drive, effectively meaning it
> will select a volume that is not already in use, loading it into another
> drive if necessary. This way, jobs writing to the same pool can run
> concurrently, each writing to a different volume, ensuring that volume
> data is not interleaved.

I've had concurrent backups working fine for the past few days, this
morning I login to check my server and I noticed that bacula/vchanger is
only using 2 of my 4 virtual drives.  I don't understand why, could you
point me in the right direction to find out why this is?

Also, I was wondering if you could explain to me scheduling/priority.  I
just assumed that bacula ran jobs in the order they were added.. But I
have noticed this is not the case, bacula seems to add jobs to the
scheduler and then it seems to just pick random jobs in the queue to
run.  The ideal situation that I would like to see, I would like my
incrementals to have a higher priority that my full backups, and I would
like my restore jobs to have a higher priority than my incrementals.
Right now I am using only one JobsDef so all my jobs are running with a
priority of 10, I changed my Restores job to have a priority of 9, I
also set Allow Mixed Priority = yes in all my jobs, but my restore jobs
are not being run first, in fact as I stated above, I can't seem to
figure out how bacula is deciding which jobs to run first and why.  To
me it seems like the priority line doesn't work, or I am configuring it
wrong.

Thank you!

mike