Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Invalid Tape position - Marking tapes with error

2011-07-07 14:16:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Invalid Tape position - Marking tapes with error
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 19:13:54 +0100

> Hello,
>
> I haven't seen anything about using nsa devices to use over something like
> an sa device. I did a bit of a search but haven't seen anything that really
> explains that portion to me.

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION002030000000000000000
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/problems/problems/Testing_Your_Tape_Drive.html#SECTION00413000000000000000

Also, all of the examples use non-rewind devices.

> When I set these up I did see a recommendation to use the pass through
> devices e.g pass0, pass1, pass2, pass3. I don't remember the specifics but
> the passthrough devices themselves seemed to be problematic.

Yes, the passthrough devices shouldn't be used for data transfer.  They should
be used to control an autochanger robot.

> I ran through all the btape tests recommended in the manual when we did the
> initial set up and all the tests did pass.
>
> The Bacula config files are quite different from the older ones. I didn't
> think this type of issue would really come down to any of these as a
> potential problem. I will provide the config info for one of my devices from
> the sd. They are all pretty much the same except for the Name, Drive Index,
> and Archive Device.
>
> The way the message is worded it sounds like Bacula didn't think there
> should be any information on the tape and it found some so it marked the
> volume with error. I'm just not sure why that would happen unless it isn't
> able to query the database properly.

The message doesn't necessarily mean that.  It is comparing a value in memory
with the position on the tape, so there are other explanations.  E.g. Bacula
tried to rewind the tape but the hardware/OS refused.  E.g. the hardware/OS
returned 0 incorrectly when Bacula set the value in memory from the tape
position in the past.

It could also be a bug in Bacula.

You could try running the bacula-sd with debug level 200, which might show
more info about how the unexpected value was set.

> If it would be helpful I could make my configs available without passwords
> or client configs as well as the set up steps I put together when building
> the server.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> James
>
> ----
>
> Device {
>   Name = Drive-0
>   Drive Index = 0
>   Media Type = LTO4
>   Archive Device = /dev/sa0
>   Autoselect = yes              #(default)
>   Automatic Mount = yes
>   AlwaysOpen = yes              #(default)
>   RemovableMedia = yes          #(default)
>   RandomAccess = no
>   Requires Mount = no           #(default)
>   AutoChanger = yes
>   Hardware End of Medium = no   #(not default, FFSF & !HEoM is common)
>   Fast Forward Space File = yes
>   BSF at EOM = yes              #(not default, necessary)
>   Backward Space Record = no    #(not default)
>   Backward Space File = no      #(not default)
>   TWO EOF = yes                 #(not default)
>   Maximum File Size = 4GB       #(def is 1GB but > reduces stops to write EOF)
>   Device Type = Tape
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
>   Spool Directory = /spool
>   Maximum Spool Size = 3800G
>   Maximum Job Spool Size = 800G
> }

This looks OK, though you may not need the two eofs model.

I use the following for an HP LTO1 drive on FreeBSD 8:

  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
  AutomaticMount = yes
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  Maximum Open Wait = 10
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = no
  BSF at EOM = no
  Backward Space Record = yes
  Backward Space File = yes
  Fast Forward Space File = yes
  TWO EOF = no

Beware though that tapes written with different values of TWO EOF are not
compatible with each other.

__Martin