Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention / Use Duration

2011-03-31 04:01:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention / Use Duration
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:58:29 +0200
Op 31/03/2011 9:08, Uwe Schuerkamp schreef:
> Hello Jeremy&  all, thanks much for your reply.
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:27:07PM +0200, Jeremy Maes wrote:
>
>>>     Pool Type = Backup
>>>     Recycle = yes
>>>     AutoPrune = yes
>>>     Volume Retention = 14 days
>>>     Volume Use Duration = 6 days
>>>     Recycle  Oldest Volume = yes
>>>     Maximum Volumes = 3
>>>     Label Format ="Full-"
>>> }
>> Here you specify 3 volumes max, probably to make sure your incrementals
>> are still useful? (something you forgot to do for the incrementals
>> themselves I think)
>>
>> Why the 6 day use duration though? You say you want to do all full
>> backups on the same day. Do the backups take multiple days to complete?
> I was hoping that when the 7th day in the cycle comes around with a
> new full backup being due, bacula would note the max use duration and
> create a new volume automatically (if max volumes isn't yet reached)
> or recycle the oldest one, keeping two older full backups on the other
> volumes.

It will indeed make the Volume get marked as "Used" after those 6 days
when the next job starts (or you run a "status dir" from bconsole),
making bacula search for another Volume that it can recycle (or create a
new one).
Unless your backups run really long you can safely shorten this time to
1 or 2 days, as long as you're sure no job will be running when the use
duration (counted from the first write to the volume) expires.

> the backups themselves are rather smallish (the biggest is around
> 160G) and complete within a couple of hours after being started.
>
> Is there a more elegant way to keep two older volumes in the pool
> without making use of "max use duration"?
If the amount of jobs writing to a full pool volume is a set number and
isn't subject to frequent change, you could alternatively make use of
the Maximum Volume Jobs parameter.
This will set the volume status to "Used" after the specified amount of
jobs have been written, giving the same result.

Take care using this if you're doing all the backups concurrently
though, in that case the Volume Use Duration is probably the best way to go.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm