Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention / Use Duration

2011-03-30 10:29:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention / Use Duration
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:27:07 +0200
Op 30/03/2011 14:30, Uwe Schuerkamp schreef:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to wrap my head around the following setup:
>
> - For a couple of clients / jobs, we'd like to store two full backups
> on disk (weekly full, daily incremental)
>
> - We'd also like to keep 14 incrementals around just in case we need
> to do a point in time recovery.
>
> The incremental part seems rather easy, I've defined a separate pool
> like so (Bacula 5.0.2 on centos compiled from source):
>
> Pool {
>    Name = Online_Incremental
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Recycle  Oldest Volume = yes
>    Maximum Volumes = 14
>    Volume Use Duration = 1 day
>    Label Format ="Incr-"
> }
>
> So we'd end up with a maximum of 14 volumes, using a new volume for
> incrementals each day, recycling the old ones as they expire.
You might run into issues with a 14d volume retention. The retention is
counted from the end of the last job written to the volume, and will
thus be at a point in time áfter the first job's scheduled time.
In the third week you might then not have any expired volumes that are
available for recycling.

You also have to keep in mind that incrementals form a chain. So if you
recycle the monday volume, you'll effectively lose your backup of all
files changed that day, that didn't change again later during the week.

> Now I was wondering how to go about the Full Pool definition. I'd like
> to do full backups on the same day for all clients / jobs, so I've
> come up with something like this:
>
> Pool {
>    Name = Online_Full
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Volume Use Duration = 6 days
>    Recycle  Oldest Volume = yes
>    Maximum Volumes = 3
>    Label Format ="Full-"
> }

Here you specify 3 volumes max, probably to make sure your incrementals
are still useful? (something you forgot to do for the incrementals
themselves I think)

Why the 6 day use duration though? You say you want to do all full
backups on the same day. Do the backups take multiple days to complete?
> But I'm unsure about the "use duration". Is there a better way to
> implement the above requirements?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help&  comments,
>
> Uwe
Kind regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****