Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Moving a catalog due to performance issues

2011-03-30 12:30:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Moving a catalog due to performance issues
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:27:33 +0100
Hello,
I am using Bacula 5.0.3 on ubuntu 9.04

I am have serious performance problems with migration speeds to tape.
I have used the btape speed command to test the throughput of the disk
to tape and it is achieving speeds of up to 6 times what my migration
speed is getting, so I don't think it's the hardware.

Someone asked if my catalog is on the same disks as the data being
migrated, and it is.  I am not sure if this would be making such a
huge difference, but I'm looking into moving it off the Bacula server
to a remote server.

I have some questions on doing this:

1. Does it make sense.  Could it be having such a serious impact on
the migration speeds, or should I look elsewhere first.  In case it's
relevant, my Bacula server has a single Raid 5 array configured with
LVM into two logical volumes. The catalog is on one, and the data on
the other.

2. Does Bacula need to be on the box hosting the catalog, or is just
having MySQL installed enough.

3. Can I dump and reload the catalog db from the Bacula server to the
new remote server, change the catalog resource record, and continue
using that.

4. I am currently using mysql version:

Server version: 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.5 (Ubuntu)

I understand that unless I install this exact version on the remote
server, I'll have to recompile Bacula.  Is this correct?

Thank you.
Dermot.