Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Keep last full backup

2011-03-25 22:16:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Keep last full backup
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: rhododendronbusch AT googlemail DOT com
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:12:32 -0400
On 3/25/2011 10:56 AM, Michael Hauptfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just set up bacula for our network. Backing up the servers works well,
> also stationary clients are backed up. (via wakeonlan)
>
> I configured Bacula to use three pools:
>
> Pool {
>    Name = "Red"
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
>    Volume Use Duration = 7 days
> }
>
> Pool {
>    Name = "Green"
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
>    Volume Use Duration = 7 days
> }
>
> Pool {
>    Name = "Pink"
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 1.875G
>    Volume Use Duration = 14 days
> }
>
> The schedule is:
>
> Schedule {
>     Name = "Weekly Disk Swapping"
>     Run = Level=Full        Pool="Red"    1st fri at 23:05
>     Run = Level=Full        Pool="Green"  2nd fri at 23:05
>     Run = Level=Full        Pool="Red"    3rd fri at 23:05
>     Run = Level=Full        Pool="Green"  4th fri at 23:05
>     Run = Level=Full        Pool="Red"    5th fri at 23:05
>     Run = Level=Incremental Pool="Pink"   daily at 12:05
> }
>
> The problem I have is that there is a roadwarrior. I want bacula to keep
> the last full backup of the roadwarrior if bacula cannot reach the
> client. Is this possible?

Not that I know of

> If I got it right then the file- and job
> retention is overruled by the volume retention, so I don't see a
> solution for this problem...

Consider this...

Keep File and Job Retention at 3 years.

Create a new pool with retention 3 years, call it LONGTERM.

Once a day, run a copy job.  Look for Full backups that are more than
four weeks old.  Copy such jobs to the LONGTERM pool.

Then if you wish, have another script which if it sees a newer full in
the regular pool, it purges the LONGTERM pool.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/