Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula jobs causing VM server reboot & consequent job fail

2011-03-24 05:56:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula jobs causing VM server reboot & consequent job fail
From: Sami Haahtinen <sami AT haahtinen DOT name>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:27:35 +0200
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:49, farmershort
<bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> however, I had scheduled the first big test of this new bacula system a
> couple of days ago - and asked it to back up about 350GB from each of 2
> servers - at the same time. Both of these backups should run concurrently,
> and back up to the same esata disk.
>
> I managed to get this to happen yesterday, by manually running both jobs from
> bconsole, but for some reason, whenever they run from schedule, then cause
> the VM to reboot. If you watch it happening, you see the VM go into "saving"
> mode, then "saved".... then some minutes later it reboots.

I would start by assuming that bacula is only the trigger in the
situation and start by running stress tests on the virtual machines.
First for the disks and then for the network (and if you use client
side compression, on CPU as well).

It's pretty likely that the higher IO loads have caused some driver to
fail somewhere and that is causing the situation. I'm finding it
rather unlikely that the cause would be directly related to bacula,
but everything is possible.

Regards,
--
Sami Haahtinen