Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Retention not being applied correctly

2011-03-22 09:05:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] Retention not being applied correctly
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:02:52 +0000
Hi,
I use Bacula 5.0.3 on ubuntu 9.04

I backup from a number of clients (windows and linux) to a disk raid
and then migrate to tape afterwards.
I am concerned that my retention is not working properly.

This is my client config for one client:

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = interlink-pdc-fd
  Address = 10.1.8.11
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"      # password for FileDaemon
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
  Job Retention = 10 years
  File Retention = 10 years
}

When I run "query" and choose:
 5: List all backups for a Client

The oldest one is:

| JobId  | Client           | FileSet               | Level |
StartTime           | JobFiles  | JobBytes        | VolumeName |
+--------+------------------+-----------------------+-------+---------------------+-----------+-----------------+------------+
| 10,614 | interlink-pdc-fd | interlink-pdc Fileset | F     |
2010-12-05 22:00:00 | 1,580,321 | 188,248,232,869 | 000040L4

If I choose "restore" and option 3: Enter list of comma separated
JobIds to select, and enter jobid 10614
I get:

Select item:  (1-13): 3
Enter JobId(s), comma separated, to restore: 10614
You have selected the following JobId: 10614

Building directory tree for JobId(s) 10614 ...

For one or more of the JobIds selected, no files were found,
so file selection is not possible.
Most likely your retention policy pruned the files.

Do you want to restore all the files? (yes|no):

The only other place where retentions are specified is in the pool.
I have 4 disk pools, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.
There is a Volume Retention specified here which ranges from 2 to 4
days, to ensure the disk volumes are freed up quickly after migration.

I also have 4 tape pools, where Volume Retention ranges from 13 days
to 10 years.

My understanding is that the pool retention takes precedence over the
client.  So keeping a high file and job retention on the clients, and
then the correct required retention on the volume in the pool, should
ensure the catalog file and job contents are preserved until the
volume is recycled.

This does not appear to be happening.

Would anyone know why this is happening?  Thank you.

Dermot.