Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-16 13:11:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:08:17 -0400
  Hello,  I'm currently testing bacula v5.0.3 and so far so good.  One
of my issues though, I have a 16 bay Promise Technologies VessJBOD.  How
do I get bacula to use all the disks for writing volumes to?

I guess the way I envision it working would be, 50gb volumes would be
used and when disk1 fills up, bacula switches over to disk2 and starts
writing out volumes until that disk is filled, then on to disk3, etc..
eventually coming back around and recycling the volumes on disk 1.

I'm not sure the above scenario is the best way to go about this, I've
read that some people create a "pool" for each drive.  What is the most
common practice when setting up a JBOD unit with bacula?  Any
suggestions or advice would be appropriated.

I have all my drives listed in the bacula-sd.conf file:

Device {
   Name = disk1
   Media Type = File
   Archive Device = /export/disk1
   LabelMedia = yes;
   Random Access = Yes;
   AutomaticMount = yes;
   RemovableMedia = no;
   AlwaysOpen = no;
}

I also have each drive listed in the bacula-dir.conf file, although I do
not know if this is correct,

Storage {
   Name = File
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
   Address = mtl-backup2                # N.B. Use a fully qualified
name here
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "<removed>"
   Device = disk1
   Media Type = File
}

Another question,  how does bacula handle a dead disk?  How do you get a
file listing of what was on that disk so you can manually run another
backup of the missing clients and file systems?  Do you need to prune
the dead disks information from the DB? or does bacula handle that when
the recycle times come around?

Thank you for any help, advice or suggestions anyone can provide.

mike