Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-16 13:43:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:38:53 -0400
On 03/16/11 13:08, Mike Hobbs wrote:
>   Hello,  I'm currently testing bacula v5.0.3 and so far so good.  One
> of my issues though, I have a 16 bay Promise Technologies VessJBOD.  How
> do I get bacula to use all the disks for writing volumes to?
>
> I guess the way I envision it working would be, 50gb volumes would be
> used and when disk1 fills up, bacula switches over to disk2 and starts
> writing out volumes until that disk is filled, then on to disk3, etc..
> eventually coming back around and recycling the volumes on disk 1.
>
> I'm not sure the above scenario is the best way to go about this, I've
> read that some people create a "pool" for each drive.  What is the most
> common practice when setting up a JBOD unit with bacula?  Any
> suggestions or advice would be appropriated.

That scheme sounds like a bad and overly complex idea, honestly.
Depending on your data load, I'd use software RAID to make them into a
single RAID5 or RAID10 volume.  RAID10 would be faster and, if set up
correctly[1], more redundant; RAID5 is more space-efficient, but slower.

[1] There's a right and a wrong way to set up RAID10.  The wrong way is
to set up two five-disk stripes, then mirror them; lose one disk from
each stripe, and you're dead in the water.  The right way is to set up
five mirrored pairs, then stripe the pairs; this will survive multiple
disk failures as long as you don't lose both disks of any single pair.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.