Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...

2011-01-27 05:44:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 05:42:10 -0500
On 01/27/11 04:29, ml ml wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have this Pool definition with autolabeling.
>
> Pool {
>   Name = File
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>   Volume Retention = 21 days         # one year
>   Maximum Volume Bytes = 1M          # Limit Volume size to something
> reasonable
>   Maximum Volumes = 500               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
>   Label Format = "Volume-"
> }

Um, 1Mb volume size limit is "reasonable" on which planet?  Perhaps if
you're running a computer that boots from floppy disks.

> The big disadvantage is that i will run out of Volumes soon since each
> Backup Job will create a Volume, even if its only 1MB big.
> Can i set "Maximum Volumes = 64000". I guess not since autolabeling
> starts with -0001.
>
> I also failed to "reuse" the old Volumes since they are on one Pool
> but have diffrent "Archive Device" paths.
>

> Any idea how to solve this?

Well, I'd start by setting a more realistic Volume size limit.  At one
megabyte, you're going to need more than one volume to hold many single
files.  For instance, a typical Linux kernel will occupy two to four
volumes.  That's like backing up to 3.5" floppies.  Purely apart from
the insane number of Volumes it'll create, the overhead of constantly
creating, opening and closing volumes will kill your throughput.

With your settings, setting volume size to something saner like, say,
10GB or more would solve most of your problems.  But frankly, setting
size limits is far from the best way to handle disk volumes in the first
place.  You're much better off to specify a Maximum Volume Jobs
sufficient to hold a day's or a weeks' worth of backups, or setting a
Volume Use Duration just short of 24 hours or 7 days (or however long
you want to use a single Volume before moving on to the next one).

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.