Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] unwanted fullbackup

2010-11-10 05:51:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] unwanted fullbackup
From: Kleber Leal <kleber.leal AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:47:58 -0300
Please, post your jobs and jobdefs and schedules.

Have you used Max Full Interval directive?

Kleber

2010/11/10 Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:12:51PM +1100, James Harper wrote:
> > > on 07.11 (1st Sunday) bacula did a fullbackup like expected. Next monday
> > > a incremental like expected. On the following tuesday bacula made
> > > a fullbackup instead of the incremental, because he didn´t find a prior
> > fullbackup in the catalog.
> > >
> > > The fullbackup on the 7th was the second fullback. The first one was the
> > > initial fullbackup after the setup and start with bacula.
> > >
> > > Where do i have to search for the problem?
> >
> > Bacula relies heavily on your clock being correct.
> > If your clock went backwards since it did the first full, it won't be able to
> > find the first full.
> >
> > Also, if your retention for your first full has expired, it will purge it
> > even though another backup depends on it existing.
> > So perhaps your retention for your first full was too low.
> >

> Hmmm... it never occurred to me before but mucking around with the clock on your director could seriously mess with your day! Advancing the clock by one year by mistake would probably purge most peoples catalogues.

I've thought about it before, and posted my thoughts on the devel list, on
a thread called 'bconsole restore bug - option 12', starting here...
http://marc.info/?l=bacula-devel&m=125302334920002&w=2
...and continue to worry about it.

I still think that getting rid of bacula's dependence on clocks, and having
a 'this job depends on jobid x' field would fix a host of problems.

I can see that maintaining continuity with, or migrating from previous bacula
versions would be difficult. But I think the move would be best in the long
term.