Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] unwanted fullbackup

2010-11-10 04:18:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] unwanted fullbackup
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:16:40 +0100
On 11/10/2010 11:07 AM, Alex Huth wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:44:47AM +0000, Graham Keeling wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:32:16AM +0100, Alex Huth wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We have a timetable for the backups, where we do fullbackups on the 1st
>>> sunday, differentials on the other sundays and incremental on each other
>>> day.
>>>
>>> on 07.11 (1st Sunday) bacula did a fullbackup like expected. Next monday
>>> a incremental like expected. On the following tuesday bacula made
>>> a fullbackup instead of the incremental, because he didn´t find a prior
>>> fullbackup in the catalog.
>>>
>>> The fullbackup on the 7th was the second fullback. The first one was the
>>> initial fullbackup after the setup and start with bacula.
>>>
>>> Where do i have to search for the problem?
>>
>> Bacula relies heavily on your clock being correct.
>> If your clock went backwards since it did the first full, it won't be able to
>> find the first full.
>>
>> Also, if your retention for your first full has expired, it will purge it
>> even though another backup depends on it existing.
>> So perhaps your retention for your first full was too low.
>>
> This is the part of the config. For me it looks ok, or? The plan was to
> have three sets of fullbackups.
> ---------------------------
>
> #Default pool definition
>  Pool {
>        Name = Default
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        Volume Retention = 365 days
>       }
>
> Pool {
>        Name = Full-Pool
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        File Retention = 3 months
>        Volume Retention = 3 months
>        Maximum Volume jobs = 40
>        Label Format = Full-
>        Maximum Volumes = 4
>       }
>
>  Pool {
>        Name = Inc-Pool
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        File Retention = 20 days
>        Volume Retention = 20 days
>        Maximum Volume jobs = 216
>        Label Format = Inc-
>        Maximum Volumes = 7
>       }
>
>  Pool {
>        Name = Diff-Pool
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        File Retention = 40 days
>        Volume Retention = 40 days
>        Maximum Volume jobs = 36
>        Label Format = Diff-
>        Maximum Volumes = 10
>       }
>
> # Scratch pool definition
>  Pool {
>        Name = Scratch
>        Pool Type = Backup
> [...]

About retention, there's also the client conf which is important if you set it
to 1 days you loose.

But mainly, I suspect a conf change in fileset and a reload.
In that case bacula issue a new full backup.

You can check in your /etc/ is something change, and also check in database at
which time the fileset is signed.

--

Bruno Friedmann (irc:tigerfoot)
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch