Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula mysql cleanup

2010-10-18 09:08:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula mysql cleanup
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:04:35 -0400
On 10/18/10 08:08, Damian Ge;bicki wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 10/18/10 07:21, Holikar, Sachin (ext) wrote:
>>
>> Well, without seeing the script, we're somewhat guessing. Personally, I
>> keep my catalog dumps around because if something crashes my database,
>> it's faster to just reload the last database than to do a bscan.
>> However, I'm currently working on moving to a snapshot-based backup
>> instead, in which I won't have a dump file at all, and will in fact
>> simply take filesystem snapshots for my incremental database backups and
>> keep the most recent snapshot around until the next night's backup has
>> been completed.
>
> Yes, but the only 100% way to recover from disaster (backup server) is
> Catalog copy on dedicated media - tape media.

I think you misunderstand.  The snapshot replaces the dump, not the
backup.  Instead of dumping the databases and backing up the dump, the
idea is to quiesce the tables, snapshot the databases, and back up the
snapshot.  The object of the exercise is to reduce the time the tables
are locked (from minutes down to a couple of seconds).

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.